Are you ready for the ultimate weekend getaway to North Carolina? Melbourne Orlando International Airport (MLB) is now offering new nonstop flights to Concord, North Carolina (USA) on Allegiant, and American Airlines offers several daily flights to Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT). Whether you fly on Allegiant or American, you can land just a few miles away from Downtown Charlotte. Plus, landing in Concord’s NASCAR epicenter, whether you’re an automotive enthusiast or not, will rev any engine!
So, get your engines started because we have put together a great travel planning guide just for you. We’ve listed all our top recommendations from sights to see to things to do, and everything in between.
Let’s start with how many days your trip to the Concord/Charlotte area should be. Ideally, it should be between three to four days, while longer never hurts. Luckily for you, your family and friends, Allegiant is offering flights from Melbourne to Concord on Thursdays, with a return to Melbourne on Sundays. You can also fly two one-way flights with an early morning Friday option on American and then return on Sunday with Allegiant. Needless to say, the options are endless.
Now, let’s get to the recommendations…
Sights to See & Things to do
Not racing season? Not a problem. Here’s a helpful list of attractions ranging from sea life to skydiving you should consider visiting.
- Charlotte Motor Speedway: For over 60 years, the Charlotte Motor Speedway has been at the forefront of the motorsports’ world. Best known for the Coca-Cola 600 on Memorial Day weekend, this motorsports complex is open for numerous tours, including the opportunity to drive your own vehicle around the track as you and your family take in the sights and sounds of the speedway.
- Downtown Charlotte: With several professional sports teams calling Charlotte their home, paired with the rich history and tasty foods, Downtown Charlotte has so much to offer any traveler.
- NASCAR Hall of Fame: Explore the legacies of the world’s greatest NASCAR drivers through interactive experiences and exhibits.
- Concord Mills Mall: Just two miles away from the Concord Airport is the largest outlet and value retail shopping spot in all of North Carolina. With brand new renovations and over 200 stores, the Mills Mall is a shopaholic’s dream.
- SEA LIFE Aquarium: Conveniently located on the southwest wing of the Mills Mall, SEA LIFE Aquarium has over 1 million gallons of aquarium waters containing thousands of different creatures.
- North Carolina Music Hall of Fame: Since everyone loves one form of music or another, this attraction would be perfect for you and your friends. During regular hours, the admission cost is FREE as you listen to the music and videos from the greatest artists in North Carolina history.
- IFLY Concord: As winter nears, indoor activities might be the way to go. Visit IFLY Concord just across the interstate from the Mills Mall to go indoor skydiving and create memories that will surely last a lifetime.
Tastes to Try
Whether you’re looking for Cajun, Italian, or Cuban food, you can find it between Concord and Charlotte. Here are just a few of the top places you should strongly consider giving a visit!
- The Smoke Pit: The best BBQ in North Carolina. Need we say more?
- Hot Box Next Level Kitchen: Located inside popular Southern Strain Brewing Company, this kitchen serves pub style food with international flavors.
- 44 Mills Kitchen & Tap: The food here lives past the legacy of the 44 historic mills that used to thrive in the area, but don’t forget to order a cocktail to enjoy your night to the fullest.
- 2 Gals Kitchen: Who doesn’t appreciate the perfection mixture of a friendly atmosphere paired with delicious food? 2 Gals Kitchen was established in 2013 and has a range of sandwiches and tempting side dishes.
- Breakfastime: Don’t feel bad if you sleep in while you’re on a getaway. In fact, no one will even know the difference with Breakfastime serving breakfast from 6am to 3pm daily. This restaurant is one of the most well-known breakfast places in all of Concord.
Sips to Enjoy
After an exciting day of tours, shopping, or activity of your choice, you may want to relax at one of Concord’s local bars or a larger brewing company in Downtown Charlotte. No matter your preference, we have you covered with this list of well-known spots.
- 73 & Main: This American restaurant doubles as a pub and bourbon bar in a historic location, making for an excellent way to finish your day.
- Cabarrus Brewing Company: Located in Concord, this brewing company has near a 5-star rating due to their passionate brew masters and friendly atmosphere.
- Cabo Winery: This relaxing atmosphere will put your evening at ease with an impressive list of wine options.
- Thomas Street Tavern: Located in an up-and-coming neighborhood, this bar is an easygoing atmosphere you’ll surely enjoy.
- Hoppin’: Self-serve? OK! This self-serve bar has over 60 taps to choose from.
Places to Stay
As we said, we’re here to help. We’ve listed a few places below to consider staying at in both Concord and Charlotte.
- Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte/Concord
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Charlotte Concord Golf Resort & Spa
- Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Concord
- The Dunhill Hotel
- Great Wolf Lodge Water Park | Concord
- Hilton Charlotte Uptown
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Charlotte Uptown
- The Westin Charlotte
- Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Northlake
- Kimpton Tryon Park Hotel
Bringing the kids? They will love Concord and Charlotte too!
North Carolina is no stranger to family-friendly activities. Below are visitor favorites you may want to consider.
- K1 Speed: Take it to the track with this all-electric indoor Go-Kart racetrack.
- Xtreme Play: It’s a kid’s paradise with tons of activities, including inflatable rooms, video games, and more.
- SEA LIFE Charlotte-Concord: SEA LIFE Aquarium has over 1 million gallons of aquarium waters containing thousands of different creatures.
- The Speedpark at Concord Mills: Miniature golf, go-karting, snacks… Are you sold yet?
Learn more about Charlotte and Concord
Looking for more? Check out the following websites to learn even more about things to do, places to stay, events, culinary options and more:
Now that your trip is planning, it’s time to book your flights! Choose between daily nonstop flights on American Airlines to Charlotte (CLT) or new nonstop flights to Concord on Allegiant. Book now www.AllegiantAir.com or www.AA.com.