Orlando Melbourne International Airport (MLB) serves East Central Florida, including Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie and Martin counties, generating more than $1 billion annually in economic activity. Established in 1929, the Airport is funded through airline fees and grants and receives no direct tax dollars.
Governed by the seven-member Melbourne Airport Authority, the airport's state-of-the-art facility includes three runways and a 200,000-square-foot terminal serving Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, Porter Airlines, Elite Airways and Baer Air.
MLB also is home to an expansive industrial park that includes Florida Tech Research Park and several internationally known aerospace and aviation technology companies, including Harris Corp., Northrop Grumman, Rockwell Collins, DRS, L-3, Embraer, General Electric and JetBlue's LiveTV.
- Aviation and aeronautics manufacturing is MLB's fastest-growing segment, with three aircraft manufacturers on site, including Embraer, the world's largest manufacturer of jet aircraft that carry up to 120 passengers.
- Four of the top 10 employers in Brevard County operate at the airport.
FREE, wireless Internet is available throughout the airport.
- Intermodal facilities include a Greyhound bus station, taxi-limo-shuttle service, Space Coast Area Transit bus service, as well as rental-car agencies including Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz, and National.
Did you know?
More than 2,000 U.S. Navy and Marine pilots were trained at the airport when it served as Naval Air Station Melbourne during World War II. NAS Melbourne also was home to more than 250 German POWs, who worked mostly at the station's laundry and mess hall.
One of the Airport Industrial Park's early tenants was Radiation Inc., which was formed in 1950 and manufactured advanced electronics for military communications and weather satellites as well as missile systems. Radiation was acquired by Harris Corp. in 1967 and became the foundation for Harris' Government Systems and Semiconductor businesses. Harris Corp. moved its world headquarters to MLB in the late '70s.